The Darling Wildflower Society has been around for more than a century and the Society’s Show takes place annually over the third weekend in September. It celebrates an integral part of the Cape Fynbos Kingdom comprised of Renosterveld, Rietveld, Sandveld, and Strandveld where more than 1200 different species of flowers can be found. And this year’s show will be their 100th event, the Centenary Show.
The display will focus on the Wildflower Society’s development through the past 100 years as well as the Herbarium project and will offer a variety of activities to entertain young and old.
Here's what you can expect at this year's show:
- The Landscaped Hall depicting the flowers of the area in their natural habitat
- An orchid display by Orchid Creations by Trisha,
- A free ride on a tractor-drawn wagon to see the pristine wetland at Oude Post, which is not normally accessible to the public and may only be visited during the Show,
- A Craft & Gourmet Food Market,
- A Veteran Tractor/Car Display
- An Entertainment Tent featuring live music from famous local acts like Klassik, Nedine Blom and Petra Mans
- Free WiFi supplied by Fox Wireless at the festival venue.
This year you can also look forward to host of exciting new workshops:
- Prof Peter Linder (currently residing in Zürich, Switzerland) will be doing two workshops called “Reeds In The Sandveld”, of which one will take place in the veld and the other at the Darling Club.
- “Tussie Mussie” workshops by Karen Moyle from Flowers on The Stoep: 16 & 17 Sep, 10-11am @ R300pp. Only 10 people per session.
- Khwa ttu will be doing kids’ and family workshops about fynbos and its links to traditional San culture and their heritage.
- A talk by Simply Bee about bees and the importance of their conservation, at the entertainment tent on Friday, 15 Sep.
In addition there will be a shuttle driving through Darling, and stopping at places of interest including the Darling Museum, Evita’s Perron, Duckitt Nurseries and the Renosterveld Reserve.
With more than a hundred food and craft stalls, everyone’s taste buds and shopping needs will be catered for! Kids will have a weekend of fun in the playpark area with entertainment ranging from face-painting to rides, while adults can relax in the Mini Wine Route & Beer Tent.
When: 14 - 17 September 2017, Thursday - Saturday: 09:00 - 17:00; Sunday: 09:00 - 15:00
Where: Darling Golf Club, Jacaranda Street, Darling
Cost: R60 adults, R40 scholars pensioners, Free to children 13 and younger.