On the 17th of March every year Ireland celebrates Saint Patrick’s Day, a cultural and religious holiday that dates back to the 9th century and pays homage to the nation’s most prominent patron Saint. St Patricks Day has been eagerly adopted by a host of countries outside of the shamrock state, South Africa included.
To celebrate the day in true Irish style we have put together our top 5 events in Johannesburg and Cape Town:
1. Get fit while building a buzz at the Saint Paddy’s Bush Pub Run. This 8km Night Trail run with 4 themed pubs on route hosted by Round Table Rivonia 230.
2. Celebrate as a family this weekend at Stonehaven on Vaal. They have a weekend full of fun, live music, food and awesome entertainment.
3. St. Patricks Day at Molly Malones is an exciting day event for people who are tired of the usual clubs and boring beer fests. Molly’s is famous for creating a great vibe combined with spectacular audio and visuals. This year features Roger Goode, Household Funk, Vimo and many more.
4. The Alehouse in Broederstroom is hosting a St Patrick’s Day Party featuring James Brady performing live Irish music. The Alehouse is also producing beer for the occasion which includes an Irish Red Ale, stout and Wexford Double Blonde.
5. Montecasino will once again be celebrating Irish tradition on St Patricks Day. Its a great big Irish party for everyone so bring friends and family to Montecasino to join in the days fun festivities, great giveaways and an all-round unforgettable experience.
1. The Dubliner, an Irish-inspired pub on Long Street, will have live music playing with drink specials and as much green as you can imagine.
2. Celebrate the Irish tradition of St. Patrick's Day at the President Hotel. Enjoy a Guinness-filled feast with a pint of stout to start, which will be paired with the hotel’s deliciously rich braised steak and Guinness pie with skinny potato fries and roasted veggies.
3. Be a little different and head to the Galileo Open Air Cinema at Fedisa rooftop in the city centre to watch the notorious Wolf of Wall Street.
4. Be sure to pop into The Village Idiot this St. Patrick’s Day to celebrate in a haze of green. Expect delicious food tributed to the day, with drinks specials, festive music and all-round epic vibes.
5. A bit of malarkey and lots of green beer. The Lighthouse Pub & Grill is a family owned pub located in the South of the Cape Peninsula. They open their doors on St Patrick’s Day with speciality St Paddy’s Day dishes such as Cottage Pie, Guinness Pie and Lamb Stew to get those taste buds watering.