Isn’t it wonderful news that some fruits and natural food products are not only good for our bodies, but they can work wonders on our skin as well. The fibres are great for scrubbing our skin and the natural oils do the trick in moisturising. And it’s a great way save some money too.
Remember, just because these homemade beauty tricks use all natural ingredients, it doesn’t mean some people won’t be allergic. Always try the remedy on a small patch of your skin first, especially if you tend to have sensitive skin.
Five natural ingredients and what to do with them:
1. There are many things you can do with lemons, or citrus fruits. They act as a mild astringent and work at killing bacteria on the skin. If you have oily skin lemon is great as a cleanser, all you need to do is blend lemon juice with some honey for a face wash. For a facial mask try lemon juice with plain yogurt. And if you enjoy scrubs, blend the lemon peel with a bit of oil.
2. Everyone knows avo is the go-to fruit for your skin. They are generally good for dry skin, because the avo’s oily texture and fatty acids hydrate skin very well. But make sure you don’t leave your mask on too long or you run the risk of the avo making your face too oily. For a facial mask, just mash the avo and spread on your skin.
3. Had a long night or crazy deadline? Try some strawberries in your beauty regime. If you want your face to look bright and not give away your up-all-night secret, just purée some strawberries to make a facial wash. Or make a facial mask by mashing up the strawberries and leaving on your face for about 30 minutes.
4. Another ingredient for dry skin is olive oil. Just mix equal parts olive oil and salt as a body scrub and you can even add a few drops of your favourite essential oil for smelling pretty. Put this on after you’ve showered or bathed. Also, if you like to hydrate and care for your nails, it makes a good cuticle cream—just rub on your fingernails and toenails.
5. Oats is another go-to ingredient for homemade beauty essentials. Just great for facials, mix ½ cup hot water, 1/3 cup oats, and then mix this with 2 tablespoons plain yogurt, 2 tablespoons honey and a small egg white. Apply and leave on your face for 10-15 minutes. Rinse with warm water when the time is up. Also said to be good for itchiness, simmer 1 cup in water and then strain and add it to your bath.
Strawberry Facial Mask Recipe
Here’s a ready-to-glow mask which will have a hydrating effect on the skin and brighten the face, so you won’t look so dull and tired:
1. Mash four strawberries, half an avocado, a little bit of lemon juice in a bowl and make a smooth paste.
2. Apply on the face with a mask brush working into the skin. Avoid the area around the eyes.
3. Leave for up to 20 minutes then rinse with cool water.
Recipe source www.thehealthsite.com