We all love getting away from it all and taking a much needed break, but this doesn’t always come without its own challenges. If we have beloved pets at home, making travel plans can be tricky—especially if we don’t have someone to take care of our furry friends. If this is the case, we need to look into kennels or catteries and, not only are these expensive, there’s the worry about our best friends' happiness too. Luckily these days there are plenty of places that allow us to bring our pets along when holidaying. So we can really enjoy a worry-free time away.
Here are a few tips for travelling with pets, a few key questions to ask when making a booking and three places in the Cape Winelands to consider next time you need to get away with your favourite creature.
Tips for travelling with your pet:
1. Make sure you pet is healthy—tags and vaccines are all up to date.
2. Don’t forget water for while you’re travelling.
3. Get Fluffy tired, by exercising your pet before packing them up for the trip.
4. If you don’t want to risk car sickness, feed them about four hours before you have to leave.
5. If your pet doesn’t like travelling, perhaps look into finding a calming remedy for them.
What to ask:
1. Do you need to pay extra for pets?
2. What pets are welcome under the pet-friendly banner? Perhaps your pet cobra is not going to be welcomed with arms wide open.
3. Is there an enclosed area to keep your pet safe, especially in the city?
4. Is there a strict policy? For example, do dogs need to be on a leash?
5. Are there places nearby to take bigger animals for walks/outings?
Where to go with your pets in the Cape Winelands:
1. Rose Cottage Studio, Constantia
This modern vacation rental has all you need to make your stay a happy one. The property is secure and the studio offers private access. Located in quiet Lower Constantia, this conveniently-situated vacation rental has everything you need to make your holiday or business trip comfortable and memorable. And it comes with free WiFi and the Netflix Movie Channel.
2. Standford Hills Accommodation, Stanford
Guests are welcome to explore the farm and enjoy the natural flora and fauna of the area. Accommodation is all fully equipped for self-catering, breakfast can be served by prior arrangement. Linen, towels and some firewood are provided. With 2 cottages, 1 park home, 1 manor house and 2 chalets to choose from, there’s something to suit every family.
3. River Edge Accommodation, Breede River
At River Edge Accommodation you are surrounded by mountains, vineyards, fynbos, and the Breede River on your doorstep. These stone-clad river houses offer a luxurious, relaxing and tranquil stay. You can expect open-plan kitchens, lounges with fireplaces, two/three rooms and bathrooms. The sundecks with sunken Jacuzzis and open fireplaces make this the best sundowner spots on the Breede River!