Note: Be sure to soften the ice cream you’ll be using, just before layering it. Not too soft though or it will get too melty and leak into the other layers.
1. Place the silicone mat on a cookie sheet then place the chilled cake on it.
2. Take one of the cake collars and wrap it snuggly around the cake. Trim as needed and secure it with some scotch tape. Pull the collar upward on the cake, so you have more room to hold the ice-cream layer in. You need at least 2 inches of collar above the cake.
3. Add the layer of vanilla ice cream. Work quickly, spreading it smooth and level. Then place it back into the freezer for at least 30 minutes. You want the ice cream to be hard enough to place the next layer on top of it.
4. Before adding the next ice cream layer, wrap another cake collar around the cake. Up high enough to hold the next layer. Like before, secure it with some scotch tape. Now add the strawberry layer of ice cream. Freeze again until solid.
5. Wrap the cake and leave it on the baking mat, in the freezer until ready to decorate and serve.
6. To decorate: First, make the waffle cone. You only need one cone for this recipe.
7. Once the waffle cone is cooled completely, fill it in with some chocolate ice cream. Then make the biggest, roundest scoop of chocolate ice cream that you can (fitting the the cone of course) and place it on top of the cone. Very gently press it downward to secure. Again, work quickly so the ice cream melts as little as possible.
8. Pour the sprinkles into a bowl, then roll the ice cream cone in it, coating all the way up the sides. Leave the bottom bare, as this is what will stick to the mat and create a flat surface at the bottom, for setting on the cake later. Place the ice-cream cone (cone side up, ice cream down) on the same cold baking mat that the cake is on. Press it gently onto the mat so that the bottom of the ice cream is flattened.
9. Leave it in the freezer for at least 30 minutes to freeze with this shape.
10. When ready to decorate, you will need your cooled ganache available, and your cake stand ready. Place the cake on the cake stand. Remove the cake collars, then starting at the edges of the cake, drizzle ganache down the sides in a nice decorative manner. Fill in the top of the cake with more ganache, leaving some space for the ice cream cone. Place the ice cream cone at the center of the cake and fill the ganache in the rest of the way.
1 6-inch round cake pan, 2 or 3 inch in height
2 acetate cake collars
4-inch Pizzelle Maker or other waffle cone maker
Silicone Baking Mat
Serving platter or cake stand
One 6-inch round chocolate cake, cooled and well chilled
3 1/2 cups dairy-free vanilla ice cream
1 large scoop of chocolate dairy-free Ice cream, plus more for filling the inside of the cone
3 1/2 cups dairy-free strawberry ice cream
Natural colored sprinkles