Winter Citrus Smoothie in Grapefruit Bowls
Recipe and images by Alyssa Ponticello, Sugar & Cloth.
- First, make the grapefruit “bowls”. Slice the top third (or fourth, depending on the size) off each grapefruit (feel free to snack on the tops or save them for garnishes).
- Run a paring knife around the edge, loosening the fruit. Then, use a serrated spoon/grapefruit spoon to gently remove the fruit and juice.
- Continue scraping out the insides until most of the fruit is removed (they don’t need to be perfectly cleaned out), give the “shells” a quick rinse under warm water and then pat them dry with a paper towel.
- You will need the fruit and juice of one grapefruit for the smoothie recipe, but the rest can be saved for snacking or other recipes.
- To make the smoothie, add the fruit and juice of one grapefruit to a blender, along with the oranges, bananas and coconut milk.
- Blend on high until smooth, about 50-60 seconds. If the smoothie is too thick, add more coconut milk or grapefruit juice. If the smoothie is too thin, add more frozen bananas.
- Immediately pour the smoothie into the grapefruit bowls.
- Jazz them up with the toppings of your choosing!
1 Large orange
1 Large blood orange
2 Frozen bananas
1/4 cup Coconut milk
Toppings: cashew pieces, granola, coconut flakes, goji berries, bee pollen, chia seeds, banana slices, flowers, orange slices, etc