Mini Pavlova's with Vanilla Mascarpone Cream, Passionfruit Curd, Berries & Fresh Mint
Photography, styling and recipe: Ashley Alexander.
- Pre-heat your oven to 150 degrees celsius (302 fahrenheit).
- In a large mixing bowl whip the egg whites until stiff (I use a stand mixer), then slowly add the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well between each tablespoon.
- Mix the egg whites and sugar for a further 5 minutes until thick and glossy.
- Add in the vanilla and vinegar, scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat for a further 5 minutes, or until the sugar has completely dissolved and the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Scoop the meringue mixture onto paper-lined baking trays, creating a little well in the centre of each with the back of a spoon. This will help to hold the fillings in place when assembling.
- Place the trays into the oven and turn the oven down to 120 degrees celsius (250 fahrenheit).
- Cook the meringues for 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- Once cooked, turn the oven off and leave the meringues in the oven to cool.
- To make the passionfruit curd place the egg yolks, sugar, lemon zest and juice, and passionfruit pulp into a medium saucepan and stir over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir through the butter and then simmer while stirring for a further 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- To make the vanilla mascarpone cream, whip the cream, sugar and vanilla together until lightly whipped or soft peaks form.
- Fold through the mascarpone and set aside.
- Once the meringues have cooled, top with a dollop of vanilla mascarpone cream, fresh berries, a spoonful of passionfruit curd, some fresh mint leaves and freshly grated dark chocolate.
Total time: 2 hrs (plus cooling time)
Serves 10 - 12
220ml egg whites (about 7 egg whites)
1½ cups raw caster sugar (fine raw sugar)
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp vanilla paste
Fresh strawberries, raspberries, blueberries & blackberries
1 tbs vanilla paste
1 tbs raw caster sugar (fine raw sugar)
7 egg yolks (from the meringue egg whites above)
1 cup raw caster sugar (fine raw sugar)
10 passionfruit, with the pulp scooped out
Zest & juice of 1 lemon