Photography, Styling and Recipe: Ashley Alexander
2 cups buckwheat flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp sea salt
1 tsp vanilla powder
3 tbsp coconut sugar
2 cups almond milk
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
3-4 large peaches, sliced
3 tbsp extra coconut sugar (for caramelizing the peaches)
1 tbsp extra coconut oil (for caramelizing the peaches)
100g dark chocolate
¼ cup pistachios, roughly chopped
natural yoghurt or coconut yoghurt (unsweetened)
Pure maple syrup
- In a large pan, melt the extra 1 tbsp coconut oil and sprinkle with the 3 tbsp coconut sugar.
- Place the sliced peaches into the pan over the coconut sugar and cook on medium to high heat until golden brown.
- Turn the peach slices over and cook for a further few minutes until golden on the other side. Once the peaches are cooked, set aside.
- Place the buckwheat flour, baking soda, sea salt, vanilla powder and coconut sugar into a large mixing bowl.
- Then add the almond milk, coconut oil and egg yolks and gently stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl whisk the egg whites until stiff and then fold into the mixture.
- Place your waffle pan onto the stove to heat up. Once hot lightly spray with oil.
- Place the mixture into the waffle pan. The amount will vary depending on the size of your waffle pan. My pan takes about ¼ cup each side of the pan.
- Cook for about 2 min on high heat, then turn the waffle pan over and cook for a further few minutes.
- Remove the cooked waffles from the pan then repeat with the remaining mixture.
- To serve, place the waffles onto a plate, add a generous dollop of natural yogurt, some caramelized peaches, a drizzle of dark chocolate, a glug of pure maple syrup, and sprinkle with pistachios.
Total time: 20 min