Photography & Styling: Diane Heierli
Photography: C&D Heierli
Assistant: Mareli Erasmus
1. Place a pot on the stove with 2 cups of water and 1 tbsp salt.
2. Bring to the boil and add the black rice.
3. Cook for 15-20 min, or until soft.
4. Strain, rinse and set aside.
5. Put the bulgur wheat and salt in a bowl and pour 2 ½ cups of boiling water over it. Cover with cling film and set aside for 30 min.
6. Make the dressing by whisking all the ingredients together.
7. When the rice and bulgur wheat have cooled down, assemble the salad by adding all the ingredients together, except the Halloumi.
8. Place a pan on high heat with olive oil.
9. Fry the Halloumi on both sides until golden.
10. Add to the salad, drizzle with dressing and serve immediately.
1 cup black rice
1 cup bulgur wheat
1 tbsp salt
6 small Lebanese cucumbers, cut into quarters
1 avocado, cut into chunks
100g sugar snap peas, blanched
5 green spring onions, sliced
300g Halloumi cheese, cut into thick slices
1 handful fresh mint leaves
¼ cup white balsamic vinegar
½ cup olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
1 handful fresh parsley, chopped
salt and pepper