Photography & Styling: Diane Heierli
Photography: C&D Heierli
Assistant: Mareli Erasmus
Makes 1 cup
1 red pepper
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp caraway seeds
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 red onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
3 red hot chillies, chopped
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven on maximum grill.
2. Place the red pepper on an oven tray and place under the grill.
3. The pepper must get a charcoal look on the outside. When this happens, remove from the oven and place in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow the pepper to cool.
4. Once cooled, peel the pepper and discard the seeds and its skin.
5. Place a dry frying pan over low heat and lightly toast the cumin, coriander and caraway seeds for 2 min.
6. Remove from heat and place them into a mortar and use the pestle to grind them to a fine powder.
7. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat and fry the onion, garlic and chillies for 10 min—until dark and smoky, and almost caramelised.
8. Place all the ingredients into a food processor and blitz together until smooth, adding a little bit of oil if needed.
9. Store in a sterilised jar in the fridge for up to two weeks.