Photography & Styling: Diane Heierli
Photography: C&D Heierli
Assistant: Mareli Erasmus
Try a Shiraz from SA’s Top 12 Shirazes 2016, go to wineofthemonth.co.za for more information.
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic
200g bacon, diced
1 tbsp olive oil
2 celery sticks, sliced
3 tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp chilli powder
400g canned diced tomatoes
3 cups chicken stock
500g left-over pulled pork
flatbreads, to serve
1. Fry the onions, garlic and bacon in olive oil until golden and crispy.
2. Add the celery, tomato paste, smoked paprika and chilli powder and cook for 3 min.
3. Add the canned tomatoes, chicken stock and barley and simmer for 20-30 min until the barley is soft.
4. Lastly, add the pulled pork.
5. Serve with toasted flatbreads.