Photography & Styling:
Photography: C&D Heierli
Assistant: Mareli Erasmus
Ingredients 2kg short ribs, sliced lengthways in 10cm pieces
1 cup coarse sea salt
knob of ginger
1 onion, roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
8 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
10 black peppercorns
100ml rice wine vinegar
100ml white wine
1,5l chicken stock
1 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
½ cup dark brown sugar
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp miso paste
2 red chillies, finely chopped
spring onions, sliced, to serve
1. Cover the short ribs with coarse sea salt and cure for 45 min.
2. Rinse the salt off and place the meat in a big pot with the ginger, onion, garlic cloves, star anise, cinnamon stick, peppercorns, rice wine vinegar, white wine and chicken stock.
3. Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer for 45 min.
4. Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
5. For the glaze: Whisk together the soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, miso paste and chilli in a glass bowl.
6. Remove the meat from the liquid and place it in a roasting pan.
7. Pour the glaze over it, cover with aluminium foil and cook for 90 min in the oven.
8. Remove the foil and cook uncovered for another 30 min.
Serve with freshly sliced spring onions.