Photography & Styling:
Photography: C&D Heierli
Assistant: Mareli Erasmus
1. Place the fish stock in a large pot and bring it to the boil.
2. Turn the heat to low then add the miso and mirin, making sure it’s fully dissolved – be careful not to boil the miso because it changes the flavour.
3. Place the olive oil in a pan over high heat and fry the mushrooms for about 2 min or just until it has some colour.
4. Remove from the heat and add the pak choi, asparagus and fried mushrooms to the fish broth and simmer for 15 min.
5. Meanwhile, fill a pot with water and add 2 tbsp salt, bring to the boil and add the rice vermicelli.
6. Cook for 5-7 min until al dente and drain. Add a splash of olive oil so they don’t stick to each other.
7. For the poached eggs: Fill a medium pot with water, add 10ml vinegar and bring to the boil.
8. Turn the heat down and let the water relax into a brisk simmer.
9. You should see bubbles coming up to the surface, but it won't be rolling.
10. Crack an egg into a small measuring cup, preferably one with a long handle. This will help you ease the egg into the water.
11. Make a well in the water by stirring the water with a metal spoon, clockwise.
12. Use the measuring cup to carefully lower the egg into the water and then tip it out into the middle of the well.
13. Cook for 4 minutes, depending on how well you like your eggs done and how hot the water is. You will have a firm white, but a runny yolk.
14. Remove the egg using a slotted spoon and set aside.
15. Poach all four eggs, one at a time, using this method.
16. Add the spring onion to the broth.
17. Serve by placing the noodles in 4 separate bowls. Ladle the hot broth over the noodles making sure to divide all the ingredients in the broth equally between the bowls.
18. Lastly add the poached eggs.
19. Serve with some freshly cut chillies, if desired, and toasted sesame seeds.
1l fish stock
4 tbsp miso paste
2 tbsp mirin
1 tbsp olive oil
80g shiitake mushrooms
80g oyster mushrooms
4 pak choi, whole or cut in half
8 asparagus spears, cut in half
2 tbsp salt
200g rice vermicelli noodles
4 free-range eggs, poached
8 spring onions, finely sliced
2 red chillies, optional
2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds