MAKES ABOUT 2 CUPS
Styling: Diane Heierli
Photography: C&D Heierli
Assistant: Mareli Erasmus
SERVING SUGGESTION: Try this recipe with a sparkling wine or MCC from wineofthemonth.co.za
5. Put the vegetables in a bowl and toss with the salt and 2 tsp sugar.
6. Massage the vegetables for 2 min until they have lost about a quarter of their original volume and are bendable.
7. Rinse with running water and drain from all excess water.
8. For the brine, stir together the remaining sugar with the vinegar, chilli and water until all the sugar has dissolved.
9. Pour the brine over the vegetables and refrigerate.
10. The pickle will keep for up to a month in your refrigerator.
1 medium kohlrabi, peeled and thinly sliced in the shape that you desire
2 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tsp salt
½ cup sugar
1 ¼ cups white wine vinegar
1 red chilli, finely chopped
1 cup lukewarm water