1. Preheat oven to 180⁰C.
2. Combine mackerel with shallots, fish sauce and pepper and set aside for about 20min.
3. Meanwhile, put sugar with 1 tbsp of water in a saucepan over medium heat.
4. Bring to the boil and let the sugar caramelise until it’s a rich, golden colour.
5. Pour in 250ml water, standing away from the pan.
6. Stir until the caramel is smooth.
7. Heat olive oil in a frying pan and fry the fish on both sides until the skin is crispy and golden.
8. Add the caramel sauce, coconut milk, chopped chilli and ginger.
9. Bring to the boil and then remove from the heat.
10. Put the fish in an oven proof dish and pour the sauce over.
11. Bake for 10min or until the sauce starts to thicken.
12. Serve the fish sprinkled with fresh coriander, spring onion and some maldon salt.
3-4 fresh mackerel fillets that are lightly smoked
3 shallots, finely diced
2 ½ tbsp fish sauce
¼ tsp black pepper
1 ½ tbsp sugar
olive oil, for frying
150ml coconut milk
1 red chilli, finely chopped
knob of ginger
handful fresh coriander
4 spring onions, thinly sliced