Photography & Styling:
Photography: C&D Heierli
Assistant: Mareli Erasmus
Try this recipe with a sparkling wine or MCC from wineofthemonth.co.za
1. Rinse tapioca pearls under running water in a colander.
2. Put tapioca in a pot with the water and bring to the boil.
3. Turn the heat down and simmer until halfway cooked.
4. Rinse again, transfer to a clean pot and add coconut milk and 3 tbsp of sugar.
5. Simmer on very low heat until translucent. They should keep their shape.
6. Place the bananas on a baking tray and generously sprinkle with treacle sugar.
7. Place under the grill until a crispy golden caramel forms.
8. Set aside to cool slightly.
9. For the caramel sauce: Place the sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat until it turns into a caramel.
10. Serve tapioca with the banana. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and peanuts and drizzle with caramel sauce.
2 cups tapioca pearls
2 cups water
400ml coconut milk
3 tbsp sugar
6 bananas, peeled and cut lengthways
4 tbsp treacle sugar
2 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
2 tbsp roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
50g treacle sugar