Recipes & Styling: Diane Heierli
Photography: C&D Heierli
Assistant: Ros McOnie
SERVING SUGGESTION: Try this recipe with a sparkling wine or MCC from wineofthemonth.co.za
250g castor sugar
4 extra large free-range eggs
2 tsp baking powder
100g apricot jam
125ml fresh cream, whipped to stiff peaks
300g icing sugar
1 cup sugar
½ cup water
For the Sponge Cake:
- Heat oven to 180°C.
- Line two 15cm round baking tins with baking paper.
- Cream butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well between each addition. Add a little flour after each egg to stop mixture splitting.
- Sieve flour and baking powder together and fold into mixture gently.
- Spoon into cake tins and bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool.
For the Filling:
- Level the cakes and spread apricot jam on both middle sections.
- Spread whipped cream in the middle and sandwich together.
- Place in the fridge to set the filling.
For the Buttercream:
- Beat the butter in a stand mixer until pale and fluffy.
- Add the icing sugar slowly and continue beating.
- Once all of the icing sugar is incorporated, put aside for spreading onto your cooled cake.
For the Spun Sugar:
- Place sugar and water in a pot over low heat.
- Allow all of the sugar to dissolve and then bring to the boil.
- Reduce the syrup until it turns a deep amber colour.
- Remove from stove top and leave to cool for 2 minutes.
- To create spun sugar, the caramel needs to be cool enough to create long strands.
- Use two forks to dip into the sugar and then drag across a bowl or bucket. Continue until sugar is finished or has become too hard to use.
- Gather all your sugar strands and place on top of cake.