Recipe & Styling: Diane Heierli
Photography: C&D Heierli
Assistant: Ros McOnie
SERVING SUGGESTION: Try this recipe with a chilled Chardonnay from wineofthemonth.co.za
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Cut the garlic head in half, wrap in foil and place in the oven to roast for 30 minutes, or until very soft.
- Squeeze the garlic out from skins, and mash with a fork.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Season the scallops with salt and pepper.
- Sear in the hot pan for about a minute on each side, or until golden brown. Remove and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in the same pan over medium heat. Add the prawns and sauté for 1 minute, or until completely pink and cooked through. Season with salt and set aside, covered with foil to keep warm.
- Heat 3 tbsp olive oil in the same pan over high heat; add the fennel and sauté for a few minutes until just tender.
- Remove fennel and add the mushrooms, add more olive oil if needed. Sauté mushrooms for a few minutes, until tender and browned. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a separate pot, bring stock and champagne to boil. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, whisk together egg yolks and garlic puree. Gradually whisk in champagne and stock juice.
- Place over a small pot of simmering water (not touching the water) and whisk until sabayon is thick and creamy (about 3 minutes).
- Whisk in parsley, chives and salt and pepper.
- Place scallops, prawns, fennel and mushrooms on a serving dish. Pour the sabayon over and then place under the grill for 1 minute, until golden brown in parts.
1 head garlic
7 tbsp olive oil
250g prawns, deveined
1 head fresh fennel, thinly sliced
250g exotic mushrooms, thinly sliced
½ cup fish stock
4 tbsp MCC
4 free-range egg yolks
1 tsp Italian parsley, finely chopped
1 tsp chives, finely chopped
salt and pepper, to season