Recipes & Styling: Diane Heierli
Photography: C&D Heierl
Assistant: Ros McOnie
SERVING SUGGESTION: Try this recipe with a sparkling wine or MCC from wineofthemonth.co.za
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Line 2 muffin tins with cupcake cases.
- Cream the butter, sugar, vanilla seeds and lemon zest in a stand mixer until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, adding a teaspoon of flour after each egg (to stop the mixture from splitting).
- Sieve the flour and baking powder together. Fold into the creamed mixture, adding milk until mixture is dropping consistency.
- Spoon the mixture into paper cases.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until light golden brown. The top should spring back when pressed in the middle of the cupcake. If the indentation remains, they are not cooked through yet.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
For the buttercream:
- Beat the butter in a stand mixer until pale and fluffy.
- 1Add the icing sugar slowly and continue beating.
- Once all of the icing sugar is incorporated, slowly add the champagne and food colouring.
- Place the icing into a piping bag and decorate cooled cupcakes.
220g butter, at room temperature
220g castor sugar
1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped
zest of 1 lemon
4 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
2 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp milk
Pink champagne buttercream:
500g icing sugar
6 tbsp pink champagne
1-2 drops pink food colouring