Time: 20 minutes
- 500g salmon, cut into blocks
- 10–12 lemon grass stalks, trimmed and cut at the end to form a spear
- 80ml lime juice
- 1/3 cup mirin (available from most Asian supermarkets)
- knob of ginger, finely sliced into julienne strips
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- sea salt to season
- 1/2 cup coriander, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup, sesame oil
In a bowl mix the lime juice, sesame oil, mirin, ginger, brown sugar and salt in bowl and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Place the salmon in a bowl and pour over half of the marinade. Baste for at least half an hour. Thread the salmon chunks onto the lemon grass spears and set aside. Heat a griddle pan, or you can prepare the salmon on a braai. Fry or braai each side until golden and seared. It is important to keep your cooking time to a minimum, not more than a minute on each side, or else the salmon will break up and fall off the skewers. Stir in coriander leaves and serve the remainder of the marinating sauce as a dipping sauce.
Sauvignon Blanc complements this dish.
To shop from a selection of South Africa’s best wines, go to wineofthemonth.co.za
Recipe by Diane Heierli, Photography & Styling C&D Heierli