- 4 potatoes, peeled and finely grated
- 225g minced pork
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 free-range egg, lightly whisked with a fork
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- sunflower oil, for deep frying
Put the grated potato into a clean tea towel, then wring as much liquid out of the potatoes as possible.
Mix the potato, pork mince, onion, egg, mint and cinnamon in a bowl until combined, then season to taste with salt and freshly-ground black pepper. With your hands, shape the mixture into small, round balls the size of walnuts.
Heat the oil in a deep heavy-based frying pan until a breadcrumb sizzles and turns brown when dropped into it. Add the meatballs and deep fry for 3–4 minutes until golden-brown.
Enjoy this recipe with one of South Africa’s best wines, go to wineofthemonth.co.za
Recipes Diane Heierli • Photography C&D Heierli