Cooking time: 3,5 hours
- 6,6kg turkey
- sea salt and ground black pepper
- olive oil to rub on the turkey skin
- 250g streaky bacon
- 4 cups of chicken stock
Pre-heat the oven to 180¼C. Wash and dry the turkey. Massage the turkey with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Fill the turkey cavity with the stuffing and tie the legs together with twine. Secure the cavity with a wooden or metal skewer or sew closed. Stuff the opposite end of the turkey (where the head was) and secure the loose skin with toothpicks. Arrange the streaky bacon rashers so that they cover the breast area of the turkey. Cover the wingtips with foil to prevent burning. Place the turkey on an oven rack in a baking dish with the stock. Roast for 3.5 -4 hours, taking care to baste the bird with the juices from the baking dish every 30 minutes.
Making the Stuffing
- 1 wholewheat loaf, made into coarse breadcrumbs
- 570g pork mince
- 2 tbsp rosemary, coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsp lemon thyme, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp sage, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 3 Pink Lady apples or other tart apples, grated on coarsest setting
- 100g pecan nuts, coarsely chopped
- 125g dried peaches, coarsely chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- salt and pepper to season
Mix together the breadcrumbs, pork mince, all of the herbs, garlic, apples, pecans, dried peaches, eggs and seasoning until you have a well-mixed stuffing. Stuff the turkey compactly.
Faraway Chardonnay 2009 complements this dish.
To shop from a selection of South Africa’s best wines, go to wineofthemonth.co.za