- 1.5kg - 2kg brisket with a thin layer of fat
- handful marjoram leaves for garnish
- 6 tbsp American-style mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup honey
- 100g dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
Pre-heat the oven to 150°C. To make the spice paste combine all the ingredients and add half a cup of water and mix well. Rub and coat the meat generously with this mixture and then roast for 1,5 hours.
In the mean time mix all the wrapping ingredients together till you have a sticky paste. Remove the brisket from the oven and place on a large sheet of foil, paint the brisket with the wrapping mixture, cover with the foil.
Flat Roof Manor SMV 2010 complements this dish.
To shop from a selection of South Africa’s best wines, go to wineofthemonth.co.za
Photography & Styling C&D Heierli • Recipe by Diane Heierli