- 150ml port
- 80ml espresso
- 1cup vegetable stock
- few sprigs of thyme
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and lightly crushed
1. Heat the pan and add the port. Add the espresso, veg stock, thyme and garlic.
2. Simmer over a low heat until the mixture has reduced by two thirds.
3. Remove the thyme and garlic and season to taste.
- 2 ostrich fillets
- glug of olive oil
- salt and pepper to season
1. Rub the fillets with the olive oil and season with the salt and pepper.
2. Heat a heavy frying pan and fry according to your preference.
3. Allow the meat to rest for 2 min and decant the juices into the jus.
4. Reheat the jus and serve drizzled over the steak with roast potatoes and tender-stemmed broccoli.
Enjoy this recipe with one of South Africa’s best wines, go to wineofthemonth.co.za
Recipe by Diane Heierli • Photography C&D Heierli