- 3 tsp palm sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 350g chicken mince
- 120g unsalted peanuts, roasted, chopped coarsely
- 125ml breadcrumbs
- 1½ tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 1 fresh Thai chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lime or lemon juice
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp coriander, freshly chopped
- 1 cup vegetable oil, for frying
- banana leaves cut into 24 squares
- extra sweet chilli sauce for dipping
Dissolve sugar in the fish sauce, then place in a bowl with chicken mince, peanuts, breadcrumbs, curry paste, chopped chilli, lemon juice, sweet chilli sauce and fresh coriander. Mix well. Divide into 24 small balls and flatten into disks about 1½ cm thick. Refrigerate for about half an hour. Heat the oil and cook in batches for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until firm. Drain on some kitchen roller towel. Spear with the toothpicks and arrange on banana leaves topped with a little sweet chilli sauce.
Chenin Blanc or Gewürztraminer complements this dish.
these whites will complement the spice in this recipe.
To shop from a selection of South Africa’s best wines, go to wineofthemonth.co.za
Prep: 30 Min · Level: Easy · Makes 24
Recipes by Diane Heierli. Photography by C&D Heierli