- 1 vanilla bean
- 55g caster sugar
- ½ cup water
- 4 gelatine leaves
- 80ml rum
- 100ml cranberry or pomegranate juice
- 12 strawberries, hulled & thinly sliced
1. Place vanilla, sugar and water in small saucepan over high heat and stir till dissolved.
2. Bring to the boil and cook for 2–3 mins.
3. Place gelatine leaves and extra water in a bowl. Set aside for 5 mins or till gelatine is absorbed.
4. Add to syrup and stir until dissolved. Allow to cool and then stir in rum and cranberry juice.
5. Arrange strawberry slices in the base of 4 glasses—or plastic glasses and jam jars for easy transportation—and carefully pour over jelly until just covering strawberries. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours or till set.
TO SERVE: Whisk cream with caster sugar to taste and place a dollop on top.
PICNIC TIP: This will work just as well done in one big easy-to transport container— just grab spoons, dig in, and make sure to eat only your portion.
Recipe Diane Heierli • Photography C&D Heierli