Makes: 1 x 21cm wreath
- 250g cold unsalted butter
- 1 cup icing sugar, sifted,plus extra for dusting
- 1.5 cups flour, sifted
- ½ cup rice flour, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 vanilla pod, seeded
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Place butter, icing sugar, plain flour, rice flour, vanilla seeds and vanilla essence in a food processor bowl and process until dough just comes together.
3. Grease a 21cm round, loose-bottomed, fluted bunt tin. Press dough into the tin using the back of the spoon.
4. Refrigerate for 15 min. Use a fork and lightly prick the dough.
5. Bake for 40-50 min or until light golden. Allow to cool before attempting to remove from the tin and allow to cool further on a wire rack.
6. Dust with icing sugar.
Gewurtztraminer complements this dish.
To shop from a selection of South Africa’s best wines, go to wineofthemonth.co.za
Recipe Diane Heierli • Photography C&D Heierl