- 2 medium scoops of ice cream per person
- 2 bananas, sliced diagonally, 4mm in width
- 8 strawberries, sliced in half lengthways
- 50g salted and roasted macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
- homemade caramel sauce
- Maldon salt, to taste
- 100ml brown sugar
- 10ml water
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
1. Place the brown sugar and water in a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. When the sugar starts to melt, swirl the pot around so the sugar melts and colours evenly.
2. Once the sugar has melted and is a deep golden colour, quickly add the cream, continuously whisking until the sauce is well combined.
3. Allow the sauce to come to the boil for a few seconds, before taking off the heat and leaving to cool.
4. To serve: ball two medium scoops of ice cream into each of the glasses, top with the sliced fruit, and sprinkle over the macadamia nuts. Lastly pour over the caramel sauce and add a few salt flakes.
Enjoy this recipe with one of South Africa’s best wines, go to wineofthemonth.co.za
Recipe Diane Heierli • Photography C&D Heierli