- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup castor sugar
- 2 free range eggs
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup milk or pineapple juice
For the pineapple topping:
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pineapple, thinly sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy, add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
3. Sift together the dry ingredients and mix into the mixture and add the milk or pineapple juice.
4. Grease your cake tin, pour in mixture and bake for 35 minutes.
5. In a saucepan, dissolve the water and sugar together over a medium heat. Add the pineapple slices and cook until the mixture becomes a thick syrup and the pineapple is cooked and golden.
6. Remove the cake from the tin and arrange the pineapple on top in a spiral.
Semi-sweet wine complements this dish.
To shop from a selection of South Africa’s best wines, go to wineofthemonth.co.za
Recipe Diane Heierli • Photography C&D Heierli