Makes 8 mini cakes
- 125g butter, softened
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 free-range eggs
- 185g cake flour
- 1.5tsp baking powder
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 cup sifted icing sugar
- 40–60ml hot water
- a few drops of rose water
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C. Grease a baking tray of 8 mini bundt moulds or a large muffin tray.
2. Cream together the butter, caster sugar and vanilla essence. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Sieve in the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the milk and beat until well combined and smooth. Fold in the raspberries. Divide the mixture evenly between the moulds.
4. Bake for 25–30 min, until well-risen and golden. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
5. Sieve the icing sugar into a bowl and gradually add the hot water, mixing well to ensure it does not go beyond a pouring consistency. Add a few drops of rose water at a time to taste. Drizzle over the cooled cakes.
Sparkling wine complements this dish.
To shop from a selection of South Africa’s best wines, go to wineofthemonth.co.za
Recipe Diane Heierli • Photography C&D Heierli