Sink your dessert spoon into the flavour of summer
- 4 cups cream
- 2 vanilla pods, split
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised
- 8 free range egg yolks
- ½ cup castor sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- pulp of 1 passion fruit, removed
1. Preheat oven to 160 °C.
2. Place cream, vanilla pods and lemongrass in pot over low heat and bring to the boil.
3. Remove from the heat, and discard vanilla and lemongrass.
4. Whisk the egg yolks and castor sugar until creamy and pale. Pour warm cream over egg mix, making sure to whisk continuously.
5. Return mixture to pot and stir over low heat for 6-8 minutes until the mixture has thickened or until it coats the back of a spoon.
6. Pour ½-cup custard into 1-cup capacity ovenproof cups or ramekin dishes. Place in a deep oven dish, and pour boiling water into the dish until halfway up cups.
7. Bake for 25 min or until just set.
8. Remove and refrigerate for 3 hours or until set.
9. Place granulated sugar and passion fruit pulp in bowl and mix to combine.
10. Cover brûlée with passion fruit sugar and use a blowtorch to caramelise the sugar, creating a solid cap.
11. You may need to sprinkle a little more sugar on top of the granadilla pulp.