For the cake:
- 12 free-range egg whites
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 275g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 150g cake flour
- 40g dessicated coconut
- 125g fresh raspberries
- 700g mixed frozen berries
- 45ml caster sugar
Italian Meringue icing:
- 220g caster sugar
- 60ml water
- 3 free range egg whites
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC. With an electric beater, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
Slowly beat in a 3/4 cup of the sugar together with the vanilla essence. Continue beating until glossy.
2. Sift the flour and remaining sugar twice and then once more, and fold through into the egg white mixture.
3. Spoon into a lined 23cm springform cake tin and bake for 30 min, or until cooked through. Turn the cake out onto a cooling rack.
4. To make the filling, place the mixed berries and sugar in a pot and heat slowly over a low heat until the berries are soft. Continue to simmer for 10 min so that the mixture reduces and thickens. Leave to cool.
5. Slice the cake into 3 layers. Place the bottom layer onto a cake stand, spread over half of the berry mix, top with the middle cake layer, and spread the remaining berry layer onto this layer. Top with the final cake layer.
6. To make the icing, place the sugar and water in a pan over a low heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved, then bring to the boil to cook for 3 min.
7. Place the egg whites in a bowl and whisk with an electric beater until stiff peaks form. While whisking, gradually add the sugar mixture and continue beating until thick and glossy.
8. Spread the icing over the cake, top with fresh raspberries and sprinkle with coconut to serve.
MCC complements this dish.
To shop from a selection of South Africa’s best wines, go to wineofthemonth.co.za
Photography by C&D Heierli • Recipes by Diane Heierli