- 25g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- icing sugar to dust
- 400g 70% dark chocolate
- 3 tbsp dark rum
- 4 medium free-range eggs, plus 4 egg yolks
- 100g unrefined caster sugar
- 50g plain flour
- 8 small triangles of white Toblerone or 16 white chocolate blocks
- cream to serve (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Grease 8 x 175ml pudding moulds and dust with icing sugar. Stand moulds on a baking sheet.
2. Put the butter, dark chocolate and rum in a heatproof bowl and set over a pan of gently simmering water—don’t allow the base of the bowl to touch the water—or use a double boiler. Melt together, stirring occasionally, until smooth. Remove the bowl from the heat and set aside to cool completely.
3. Whisk the eggs and egg yolks with the caster sugar until really thick and fluffy, then carefully fold in the cooled chocolate mixture. Sift over the flour and fold in with a metal spoon.
4. Divide half the mixture evenly among the 8 moulds, and place a white chocolate Toblerone triangle or 2 blocks of white chocolate in the centre of each one. Then pour over the remaining chocolate mixture.
5. Cook for 15 mins, then remove from the oven and allow to stand for a few minutes. Carefully turn out each pud onto a plate and serve immediately with cream.
Enjoy this recipe with one of South Africa’s best wines, go to wineofthemonth.co.za
Recipe Diane Heierli • Photography C&D Heierli