Makes 15 tarts
For the pastry:
- 1 packet ready-made butter puff pastry
- 45ml brown sugar
- 15ml cinnamon
- flour, for dusting the surface
For the custard filling:
- 8 extra-large free-range hen’s eggs
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 30ml cake flour
- 5ml zest of 1 organic lemon, finely grated
- 5ml vanilla extract
- 500ml double thick cream
- 125ml full cream milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
1. To make the pastry, partially thaw the pastry until the sheet can be unrolled but the dough is still fairly stiff.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll the pastry out gently and then neatly trim the edges. Mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the pastry.
3. Re-roll your pastry so that it resembles the original roll and place on a clean board. Return to the freezer for about 15 minutes.
4. Thoroughly grease a muffin tin and set aside.
5. On a floured surface slice the sausage-shaped pastry into 1,5cm thick slices. Once it is totally sliced, using a rolling pin, roll each slice (filling-visible side up) into a circular shape and place in the greased muffin tin.
6. Once this is done, place them in the freezer again for 10-15 minutes.
7. Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
8. To make the custard filling, whisk the eggs, caster sugar, flour, lemon zest and vanilla extract until well combined.
9. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan gently heat the cream, milk and salt (do not allow the mix to boil). Whisking all the time, add the egg mix to the saucepan and milk, lower the heat, and keep stirring until the sauce has thickened.
10. Pour the custard into a jug and allow it to cool, stirring occasionally.
11. Remove the pastry shells from the freezer and fill with the custard filling.
12. Bake the tarts for 10-12 min, or until the tops are golden in colour. Remove from oven and allow to stand for 10 min before removing from the tray.
13. To serve, dust with a little icing sugar and enjoy when still warm.
Serve this dish with a Noble Late Harvest. For a selection of Noble Late Harvests, click here.
Recipe Diane Heierli • Photography C&D Heierli