• 500ml pouring cream
• 250ml full-cream milk
• 1 vanilla pod, split and scraped out
• 6 large free-range eggs, separated
• 100g caster sugar
• 300g fresh strawberries
• 2 tbsp caster sugar, to taste
1. heat cream, milk and vanilla pod in a heavy-based pot till just below boiling point.
2. Beat egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until light, thick and creamy.
3. Remove vanilla pod and pour hot cream mixture onto egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly.
4. Return mixture to pot and heat gently, stirring till custard thickens (±10 mins). It should lightly coat the back of a wooden spoon.
5. Let custard chill for a few hours before continuing.
6. Pour custard into freezer container, cover, and place in freezer.
7. Remove after 2 hours and whisk well to break up ice crystals. Return to freezer. Repeat process twice or till ice cream is thick and holds its shape.
8. Purée strawberries in blender. Add extra sugar to taste.
9. spoon strawberry purée into ice cream and cut through ice cream in a swirling motion with spoon, making a marbled effect. Cover and freeze overnight or until firm.
Enjoy this recipe with one of South Africa’s best wines, go to wineofthemonth.co.za
Photography by C&D Heierli • Recipes by Diane Heierli