• 200g soft unsalted butter, & extra for greasing
• 200g caster sugar
• 4 large free-range eggs
• 200g self-raising flour, & extra for dusting
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 2 tbsp rosewater, plus a little extra
• icing sugar, for dusting
• 250ml whipping cream
• seeds scraped from 1 vanilla pod
• 1 tbsp caster sugar
• remaining rosewater
• 120g strawberries, sliced
• 4 tbsp strawberry jam
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Grease 2 x 23cm cake tins and line with greaseproof paper.
3. Beat butter and sugar until light and creamy, then add eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. (If mixture starts to curdle, gently fold in a little flour.)
4. Fold in flour, baking powder and rosewater. divide mixture between tins, making sure to level with a spatula.
5. Bake for 20 min or till golden and skewer comes out clean.
6. Allow cakes to cool on a wire rack. Meanwhile, lightly whip cream, vanilla seeds, sugar and dash of rosewater until soft peaks form.
7. Place a cake layer on a serving platter, spread jam over and then cream mix, and place sliced strawberries on top of cream. Top with other cake and dust with icing sugar.
Enjoy this recipe with one of South Africa’s best wines, go to wineofthemonth.co.za
Photography by C&D Heierli • Recipes by Diane Heierli