- 225g caster sugar
- 225g unsalted butter
- 100g pistachios, shelled
- vanilla pod, seeds scraped out
- 3 x large free-range eggs
- 1 med sized lemon, zested and squeezed
- 200g ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
1. Preheat the oven to 180 ºC
2. Cream the butter and sugar till light and fluffy, add the eggs one at a time, beating very well between.
3. Add the vanilla seeds and lemon zest, stir in.
4. Fold in the ground almonds and pistachio, baking powder and salt.
5. Spoon into a well greased 23cm loose bottomed cake tin and bake for 45 mins to 1 hour, or until a skewer comes out clean.
6. Delicious with Bulgarian yoghurt and fresh berries.
Enjoy this recipe with one of South Africa’s best wines, go to wineofthemonth.co.za
Photography by C&D Heierli • Recipes by Diane Heierli