Makes 6 mini cakes
• 360g dried fruit cake mix
• 1/2 cup brandy
• 1 cup dark brown sugar
• 100g blanched almonds, coarsley chopped, set aside 24
• 6 glace cherries, set aside
• 200g butter, chopped
• 2 tsp mixed spice
• 1 1/2 cups cake flour
• 1/2 tsp baking powder
• 2 extra large free-range eggs
1. Preheat your oven to 140°C.
2. In a pot: add the cake mix, brandy, sugar, almonds, butter and the mixed spice. Heat until the butter has melted and sugar dissolved.
3. Allow to simmer gently for 10 mins, then set aside.
4. In a mixing bowl add the flour, baking powder and cooled cake mix.
5. Lightly whisk the eggs, then add to the flour and cake mix. Stir well to combine.
6. Spoon the mixture into a nonstick muffin tray and arrange 4 almonds and a cherry on top ofthe mixture.
7. Bake for 40-45 mins or until golden and firm. While still warm, pour over a glug of brandy.
8. Allow to cool and keep in an airtight container until ready for packaging.
Avondale Brut MCC complements this dish.
To shop from a selection of South Africa’s best wines, go to wineofthemonth.co.za