- 50g dark roasted coffee, finely ground
- 250ml cream
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 70g 70% cocoa mass dark chocolate, grated
- 4 free-range egg yolks
- 70g castor sugar
1. Place the coffee grounds in a muslin cloth and secure tightly.
2. Place the cream, cinnamon stick and coffee grounds in their muslin wrapping in a pot and simmer for 10 min. Leave to cool slightly.
3. Remove the coffee bag and squeeze well to extract the coffee. Discard the cinnamon stick.
4. Add the grated chocolate and stir until it is completely melted.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the castor sugar and slowly pour over the hot cream mixture. Stir very well and return to the saucepan.
6. Gently reheat the mixture until it has thickened and resembles the consistency of custard.
7. Pour the mixture into a glass bowl and place it in a sink of cold water or crushed ice. Stir gently while the mixture cools down.
8. Spoon into small ramekins and chill.
Recipe by Diane Heierli • Photography C&D Heierli