Makes: about 24
- 100g hazel nuts
- 150g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 125g castor sugar
- 1 free-range egg yolk
- 250g cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 80g dark chocolate, broken into chunks
- 4 tbsp espresso
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Roast the hazel nuts for 5 minutes on a baking tray.
3. Whisk the butter and castor sugar until light and creamy, add the egg yolk, and beat until well combined.
4. Sieve the flour and baking powder and add to butter mixture. Add the nuts, dark chocolate and espresso, and stir well to combine.
5. Allow the mixture to rest in the fridge for 10 minutes.
6. Grease two baking trays and spoon walnut-sized blobs onto the tray.
7. Bake for 25–30 min or until golden brown. Allow to cool on a cake rack, and enjoy.
Recipe by Diane Heierli • Photography C&D Heierli