Makes: about 15
- 2 x large free-range eggs
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 1/2 cups of buckwheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- a little sunflower oil to fry with
1. In a large bowl whisk the eggs and milk together.
2. Sift the buckwheat, baking powder, sugar and salt in a separate bowl. Mix the wet into the dry ingredients until just mixed.
3. Allow the mixture to stand in the fridge for 30 min prior to cooking. If the mixture is too thick, add extra milk and stir in.
4. Heat pan over a medium heat, lightly coat bottom of a pan with cooking oil and pour in a ladleful of mixture. When bubbles have formed, turn over and continue frying on the other side.
5. Serve with honey, fresh raspberries and sliced banana
Enjoy this recipe with one of South Africa’s best wines, go to wineofthemonth.co.za
Photography by C&D Heierli• Recipes by Diane Heierli