- 500g store-bought dough
- 200g cured streaky bacon, fried until cooked but not crispy
- 100g courgettes, thinly sliced with peeler, blanched
- 100g asparagus spears, thinly sliced and blanched
- small handful of sage leaves
- 30g pecorino
- 250g bocconcini, roughly torn
- salt and pepper to season
- micro greens, generous handful to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C. Lightly dust the counter top with flour, roll out the bread dough into 2 thin oval shapes and place on a greased baking tray. Bake for 15 minutes and remove.
2. Top the bases with the bacon rashers, drained courgettes and drained asparagus, then add the sage, pecorino and bocconcini, and salt and pepper to season. Return to the oven for 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is golden brown.
3. Season with salt and pepper and toss some micro-greens on top.
a red blend complements this dish.
To shop from a selection of South Africa’s best wines, go to wineofthemonth.co.za
Recipe Diane Heierli • Photography C&D Heierli