There is nothing as fresh and crisp as young spring leaves offset with the saltiness of pancetta and juicy red cherries to set the tone for a light spring lunch or a delicious starter to a Sunday feast with friends.
- 1 bag of Italian mixed salad leaves, make sure there are radicchio leaves in the mix
- 200g pancetta, thinly sliced and dry fried in a pan till crispy
- 2 punnets of cherries
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 30ml white balsamic vinegar
- 100ml olive oil
- salt and pepper, to season
- 90ml cream
- small bunch Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
1. Whisk together the mustard, balsamic and olive oil. Taste and season accordingly.
2. Add the cream and the coarsely chopped parsley to the dressing and set aside.
3. Toss the mixed leaves with the crispy pancetta. Halve and stone the cherries and toss into salad.
4. Drizzle over the dressing and voila.
Enjoy this recipe with one of South Africa’s best wines, go to wineofthemonth.co.za