- 1,5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 500g streaky bacon, roughly chopped
- 1,5kg celeriac, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 150g crème fraîche
- For the topping:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 12 water chestnuts (tinned), cut into slices
- 100g bacon, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 tbsp rosemary sprigs
1.Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized saucepan, add the onion and garlic until softened. Add the bacon and cook until tender. Add the celeriac and potato to the stock. Leave to simmer for 30 min, or until the potato and celeriac are tender. Add the crème fraîche and blend. Season with salt and pepper.
2.For the Topping: In a pan, heat the olive oil, add the water chestnuts and bacon, and fry until golden and crispy. Add the rosemary and stir until crispy, then sprinkle over the top of the soup. Enjoy with a chunky piece of bread.
Chardonnay complements this dish.
To shop from a selection of South Africa’s best wines, go to wineofthemonth.co.za
Recipe Diane Heierli • Photography C&D Heierli