- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 700g stewing beef, cut into cubes
- 5 cardamon pods, lightly crushed
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1,5 litre veg stock
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- salt and black pepper
- 1 tin of cannellini beans, rinsed
- generous squeeze of lemon juice, to serve
- chopped fresh coriander, to garnish
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pot and lightly fry the onion on medium-high heat for 5 min, until the onion becomes golden brown. Add the garlic cloves and cumin and cook for a further 2 min, then set aside. Using the same pot, heat 1 tbsp oil and brown the meat, add the cardamom, turmeric, tomato purée and sugar.
2. Add the stock and bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for at least 3 hours, or until the meat is tender.
3. Add the potatoes to the soup and season with salt and black pepper. Bring back to the boil, lower the heat and simmer, uncover, for a further 20 min, or until the potatoes and beans are tender. Add the drained cannellini beans.
4. The soup should be thick. Serve with a squeeze of lemon zest and fresh coriander.
Shiraz complements this dish.
Try a Shiraz from SA’s Top 12 Shirazes 2016, go to wineofthemonth.co.za for more information.
Recipe Diane Heierli • Photography C&D Heierli