Pair this dish with a craft IPA beer
- 7 cups water
- 1 cup salt
- ¼ cup + 1T honey
- 5 bay leaves
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp whole black peppercorns
- 5 large rosemary sprigs
- 1 bunch thyme
- peel of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 8 chicken wings
- 3 cups flour
- 5 tsp paprika
- 5 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 tsp sea salt
- 250ml buttermilk
- 2L canola oil
1. Place all of the ingredients, except the chicken, into a large bowl. Mix until the salt has dissolved.
2. Add the chicken wings; make sure they are all covered by the brine.
3. Set aside for 3 hours.
4. Drain and pat dry with paper towel.
1. Mix the flour, spices, pepper and salt together.
2. Place the buttermilk into a small bowl.
3. Coat each chicken wing in flour, then buttermilk and flour again.
4. Fry in medium hot oil for 5-10 min, or until golden and crisp.
5. Drain excess oil on paper towel.
6. Season with salt and pepper and serve while still hot.
Enjoy this recipe with one of South Africa’s best wines, go to wineofthemonth.co.za