- 4 heads of chicory
- 2 crispy Pink Lady apples
- 2 pears
- a handful of fresh soft herbs (chervil, tarragon, parsley—use any one, or a mixture), torn or roughly chopped
- 100g walnuts, roughly chopped
The Blue Cheese Dressing:
- 50g strong Blue cheese
- 50g crème fraîche
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus a little extra for drizzling
- 4 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 6 tbsp water
Separate the leaves from the chicory, then wash and spin them dry. Slice your apples into rounds to expose their beautiful center star, removing seeds as you go. Repeat this process with the pears but slicing length ways. You could use a mandolin for this.
To make your dressing, place all your dressing ingredients into a liquidizer and blend for just 15 seconds until smooth. Taste to make sure you’ve got a little extra acidity in there to cut through the bitterness of the leaves, and season if necessary. Pour three-quarters of the dressing over the salad and toss. Add the fresh herbs and pear and apple slices and gently toss through. Divide them between four plates, and finish with a little extra dressing, the remaining herbs and a little extra virgin olive oil. Top each salad with roughly chopped walnuts.
Photography by C&D Heierli • Recipes by Diane Heierli