- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 5cm thumb ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- ± 300ml oil
- salt and pepper
- 100g cabbage, finely shredded
- 4 x 150g pieces salmon
- 4 whole pitas
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled into ribbons
- 1 avo, sliced
- 1 cup assorted baby tomatoes, halved
- 2 medium heat chillis, sliced
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- 1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp black sesame
- 1 cup baby mesclun leaves
1. In a bowl, crack an egg and add to it the lime juice, garlic clove, ginger and fish sauce. Use a stick blender to combine the ingredients. Slowly pour in the oil until the mayo begins to form, becoming thick, light and white. Season with salt and pepper to taste and mix with the cabbage to make your coleslaw.
2. In a shallow frying pan, fry the salmon until golden on the outside and just cooked through.
3. To serve, heat through the pitas. Arrange the salmon, cucumber ribbons, avocado, tomatoes, chillis, coriander, red onion and mesclun leaves, on top of the pita, along with the coleslaw.
Chardonnay complements this dish.
To shop from a selection of South Africa’s best wines, go to wineofthemonth.co.za
Recipe Diane Heierli • Photography C&D Heierli