- 50ml olive oil
- 250g baby onions, peeled and halved
- 1 punnet baby leeks, rinsed and halved
- 100g lightly smoked bacon cut into matchsticks (optional)
- 125ml dry white wine
- 6 waxy potatoes, quartered
- 1 butternut, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 350g cauliflower florets
- 500ml pouring cream
- 250g smoked mozzarella
- fresh thyme
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Heat oil in large deep-sided frying pan, add the baby onions, leeks and bacon (optional) and cook over low heat until onion is soft.
3. Add wine and cook until evaporated. Add potato, butternut and cauliflower and cook until tender, then season to taste. Add cream, cook for 1 min and remove from heat.
4. Lay half the potato mixture in casserole dish, scatter over half the cheese, then repeat with remaining potato mixture and cheese.
5. Bake for 1–1.5 hours, or until golden and bubbling.
Pinot Noir compliments this dish.
To shop from a selection of South Africa’s best wines, go to wineofthemonth.co.za
Recipe Diane Heierli • Photography C&D Heierli