For the horseradish sauce:
- 15ml fresh horseradish, finely grated
- 60ml crème fraiche
- 30ml lemon juice
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
For the hash browns:
- 300g sweet potato, peeled
- 2 free-range hen’s eggs
- sea salt and black pepper, for seasoning
- 45ml flour
- vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- 8 asparagus spears, trimmed and blanched
For the duck eggs:
- 4 free-range duck eggs, for poaching
- 1 tbsp vinegar
1. To make the horseradish sauce, place all the ingredients in a bowl, mix together until combined and set aside.
2. To make the hash browns, cook the peeled sweet potatoes in salted water for 15 min, drain and allow to cool.
3. Coarsely grate the cooled potatoes and place in a bowl. Add the 2 beaten hen’s eggs to the grated potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Gradually add the flour until the mixture holds together when pressed into a patty.
4. Heat 1cm of vegetable oil over a medium heat and cook 1/4 cup of the potato mix pressed into a patty, until golden and crispy. Place the hash brown onto paper towel to drain off excess oil.
5. To make the duck eggs, poach for 3-4 minutes in the simmering vinegar water.
6. To serve, place two spears of blanched asparagus on top of each hash brown, followed by the poached duck egg and finished off with the horseradish sauce.
Crisp Sauvignon Blanc complements this dish.
To shop from a selection of South Africa’s best wines, go to wineofthemonth.co.za